Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Apparition

THE APPARITION
So, you thought ALVH was bad?
 
Worst movie of 2012
 
2012, Horror, Rated PG-13
Distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures
 
          This is easily the worst theatrical release of 2012. I can't believe it's actually in the theaters. It belongs on the Sci-Fi Channel as a made-for-TV movie. It's absolutely terrible. I hated every minute of it and you will too if you spend the money to see it.
          The trailers for The Apparition tell you more about what's going on in the film than the film itself. Halfway through I realized that literally nothing was being explained. The film relies on so many cliches to distract you from the absence of a real plot. Essentially it's like this: a beautiful couple move into a house together. The house appears to be haunted but in reality it's the man in the relationship that's haunted. He took part in an experiment years prior that meant to create a supernatural being with belief. The trailers told us that they created a supernatural entity in their minds to prove that ghosts aren't real, you simply need to believe that they are and they will come haunt you. Most of what I just told you I got from the trailer. It is not explained in the film itself. It's not a terrible idea for a movie but everything else about the movie is terrible.
          There are no famous people in this movie other than the kid who played Malfoy in the Harry Potter film franchise. He has a very small role. The couple is played by two gorgeous human beings who can't act. The girl doesn't know about the experiment so she runs around scared throughout the whole movie. The guy literally has the same expression on his face in every scene. He looks freaked-out but kind of pissed-off too. The acting is terrible and the script is even worse. I'm still shocked that this got a theatrical release.
          I guess the worst part of the movie is that it steals its premise from a very famous horror film. The idea that you have to believe in the supernatural entity for it to harm you is taken directly from A Nightmare On Elm Street. Nightmare has an antagonist, though, and everyone knows him. Freddy Krueger is unforgettable with his gory burns, Christmas sweater, and knives attached to his gloves. There is no identifiable antagonist in The Apparition. The scary things you see are odd lights, doors closing by themselves, and a random yellow mold that forms on walls near someone who is afraid of "the apparition". I bet they named it that because that's all it is: an apparition. There's no evil force behind it, no reason for these kids to be haunted and killed. I'm also shocked that this film comes in at one hour and twenty minutes and I was still so bored, just begging the credits to roll, not halfway through it.
          This movie is on a whole other level of bad. It's literally only good for laughs. Maybe play a drinking game with it: drink every time you laugh unintentionally. You'll be drunk as a skunk real quick. Avoid it like an apparition.
 
          Side note: I hate when a trailer shows a main character's death. The trailers for The Apparition showed pretty much all of them. I knew when each character was going to die minutes before any danger presented itself.

2 comments:

  1. I can’t say that I was surprised that the Apparition wasn’t that great. Though the idea of the movie was great, I had a feeling that it would be poorly done. I haven’t seen it yet, and I don’t think that I am going to see it in theaters. Some of my Dish coworkers who saw The Apparition said to avoid it. I would still like to see what all the fuss is about, so I will probably add it to my Blockbuster @Home queue when it comes out on DVD and have it mailed out. At least it would save me trouble of having to go and rent the movie from the store. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty harsh on it here, Damon, but I kid you not it's that bad. I'm pretty excited for The Possesion which comes out soon and hopefully will be the horror experience that The Apparition failed to be. Head on over to my Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter review. I'm pretty harsh on that one too. Dis ya see it?

    ReplyDelete